This Internship position has now been filled. Thank you for your interest and stay tuned for future opportunities!
HRI Family, 8/27/2018
Fall 2018 Social Services Internship Opportunity
Children’s Program at HRI
Internship Title: Social Services Intern, Children’s Program
Dates: Fall 2018 (August 2018-December 2018; start and end dates flexible)
Human Rights Initiative is seeking a Social Services intern for our Children’s Program during fall 2018. The intern may be part time or full time and will be expected to work between 25-40 hours a week (exact hours flexible). This program assists children and teens who have suffered abuse, abandonment or neglect by one or both parents. Many of our child clients arrive as unaccompanied minors to reunite with family or friends, and their arrival in the United States can be a difficult and jarring experience. Many are forced to navigate complex systems, including our legal immigration system, school, and more. The staff in Social Services department at HRI works to support our clients who are navigating these systems and the legal process in various ways. Services are designed to help our child clients and their families cope with the initial stress of reunification, begin healing from the traumas they’ve experienced, and look towards building a bright future here in the United States. The children we see come to the United States come with many hopes and dreams, and we try our best to support our clients in reaching their full potential. As the Social Services intern in the Children’s Program, you will work with our Children’s Program Case Manager in providing these services in addition to assisting in research, evaluations and program development focused on youth empowerment. Applicants fluent in Spanish strongly encouraged to apply.
- Undergraduate or graduate intern (or recent college graduates within the past year)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and keen attention to detail
- Interest in a public service, social work, human rights, or human services career
- Experience in research, program execution and evaluation skills are a plus
- Self-starter and able to manage projects independently
- Assist with Children’s Program intakes and refer clients to appropriate services to address any needs, researching additional resources as needed.
- Work alongside HRI staff to help our clients to set goals and craft a career or educational plan after high school, and provide case management support to help clients achieve these goals.
- Alongside Children’s Program Manager, evaluate client’s progress in youth empowerment programs.
- Provide administrative support as needed, including data entry and documentation of referrals and other social services provided to clients.
- Be part of a strong advocate team in researching areas of need and potential resources and support available to our immigrant child clients.
Application Instructions: Qualified applicants, please submit your resume and a tailored cover letter to the Children’s Program Manager, Elisandra De La Cruz, at email@example.com. No phone calls will be accepted. The application deadline is August 31, 2018. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may close at any time after a candidate has been identified.